OLR Mix No. 1,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OverLooked ReMiX Forum Index :: 5|t3 Pr0j3cts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenon Odyssey
Mighty Composing Sexophonist

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: OLR Mix No. 1,000 Reply with quote

OverLooked ReMiX's 1,000 Mix

So here's a thread where we all toss around ideas! See if one is 'better' than the others and we actually get around to creating the the greatest poop since sliced poop.

Previous ideas that I (Xenon) came up with over the year(s?):

• possible cover of (in)famous OLR vocal mix(es)
  • some sort of group effort similiar to Lucky Gamblin' Song and the Million Man Mix
  • taking someone's previous mix and passing it through as many people as possible to make it unlistenable/atrocious/the greatest masterpiece evar

Below will be a new list of the ideas that we brainstorming following the resurgence of site activity:

• fart noises

So what are your ideas? Post 'em!
Xenon is the Ailsean of OverLooked.
Skoshu
Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Million man mix with a bit of the regurgitating and eating it all up again process seems like a good route.
We could just collect pieces for a huge collaborative sound dump at some point, like sample fodder for the people who end up piecing the frankenstein together. This could start pretty much right now as zero direction randomness can be good, but as soon as we have some theme or source to go by the efforts might get a bit more remix related. Either is fine.
Brunzolaitis
Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a year now I had the idea of making a big mash-up/medley of OLR songs. Like 100 songs in 10 minutes, with some narration, as in "The history of OLR". It'd start off with the beginnings, Hello Cat and ISC, then we'd have all of Viiklas' Tetris mixes in 20 seconds, snippets of RAPE mixes coupled with something else etc.

A new million man mix will be difficult, since we're at max 10 people. But we could pass it around and those who already sang sing again after the others so it ends up as a huge clusterfuck.
And while I'm kinda out of the groove I could always do a cover of a classic olr song, I like interpretating other people's work.
I think the hardest part is now, getting things rolling. Once that is done things will naturally flow I guess.

http://daismusic.bandcamp.com
4g
Ludwig Von Koopa (250+)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in with Xenon's third proposition with the remix passing. Skoshu and Bronzalitis seemed to be in a fair agreement with the Round Robin approach.

I was also thinking about the olremix rehash... but that might be a nice project to work on the side (olremixes 10th year jubilee is next year, isn't it?). But definitely something to keep in mind.

What would everyone think about taking three or four of the most remixed vg melodies mashing them together for a base melody/structure and then let people overlay their own garble with it.
(We'd have a huge collection of synced sound files, which could then be appropriately mixed together).

I'm not sure how good samples might work (then again, I'm really unexperienced working with direct samples Confused ), but the other approach might allow an easier collaboration.

My opinions.

(I'd love to provide whateverness vocals once something has started Twisted Evil )
Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to help contribute to a WIP mix that keeps getting passed around, but if you've heard anything I've made the type of work I do I don't think is suitable.

Still I'd do what I could should the be the decision.

on a side note, i think it was early last year? I had been trying to think of an idea for #1000 and I came up with essentially this same thing (referring to the million man mix idea). It just seems like it makes sense to do.
4g
Ludwig Von Koopa (250+)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the moments of silence has befallen the forums. As the sun shines radiant beams on the morgues where fallen remixers lie there is a eerie stillness... Every now and then the an observer has hushed by in a cloak of night... Nothing can be seen outside the shadows...

I don't know if anyone has started working on something.
I thought I take some bland melodies like:
- Mario Bros Overworld theme
- Legend of Zelda Overworld them
- Tetris A theme
- Sonic Ice Cap Zone theme
- Mega Mega Dr. Wily theme

(which are disgustingly over-remixed) and mix them together into a simple midi file arrangement for a base structure. It might take some time to find a combination which is inspiring for this type of collaboration... but... might as well start somewhere (and it might as well be anybody who starts).

Just please don't like the forums die off totally... are sure there's some weird stuff people can discuss
Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still check to see whats up, but like i said (i think) what im capable of doing is more like manipulation and mashup stuff.

I'm not really a good person to start the ball, but I'll contribute to its rolling as much as possible
Kawdek
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks we should pull an Enigma Variations. Never include the actual melody in the remix, only a paraphrase of the song.

Or we can commemorate the 1000th mix by using only styles from before the Year 1000. (It probably won't work, but it's just off the top of my head)[/b]
4g
Ludwig Von Koopa (250+)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhmmmm.... Where did everyone go?! Shocked
Well, moderately depressing... but alas...

I guess I'll test what happens if someone tries to initiate something...

I worked a bit on my proposition to mix some melodies... and the whole thing quickly went in a similar yet different direction.

It's Captain N's 25 aniversary this year (hurray... I guess Confused ) and to celebrate the occasion, I thought I would be fun to make a medley using themes from some of the main games which had to do with the series.
With very few exceptions all melodies come from the following games:
- Super Mario Bros (NES,1985)
- Legend of Zelda (NES, 1986)
- Metroid (NES, 1986)
- Castlevania (NES, 1986)
- Kid Icarus (NES, 1986)
- Mega Man (NES, 1987)

The medley at the moments portrays the standard video story/dynamic... in music... ish form.

Transporting rhythms to midi/note format is challenging for me... so there are a few rhythmics bits which need to be smoothed over... especially a few of the transitions.

Since people wanted a project, here's my proposal:
- state, if what is provided is sufficient for a WIP.
- it would be nice if some one could help with that rhythm issue (especially for when accompanying voices are added)
- once that happens some one (which could also be me
Crying or Very sad ) could work on the side melodies.

There are two directions from that point on. Try to make something sounding fairly good, or something atrociously vile... or both Very Happy . I'd suppose people could request a part of the piece they would like to infuse with their own character, and that that could be passed around for rehashing. (Kawdek could even build in his enigma variations of severly old school instrumentation in some part Wink )

Here is a link to the midi file:
Midi

Here is a link to the mp3 file:
Mp3
pokezel
Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunzolaitis wrote:
For a year now I had the idea of making a big mash-up/medley of OLR songs. Like 100 songs in 10 minutes, with some narration, as in "The history of OLR". It'd start off with the beginnings, Hello Cat and ISC, then we'd have all of Viiklas' Tetris mixes in 20 seconds, snippets of RAPE mixes coupled with something else etc.

This was my dream for the 1000th mix, in the classic Brunzo style.

Though as for a pragmatic approach, the general barrier to entry for people to participate in the mix is the audio production part. If there is a backing track for people to sing/harmonize/beatbox/fart noise over I bet we could get a ton of people to use audacity or even WINDOWS SOUND RECORDER to record a little somethin

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!1
ProjectSpam
Ludwig Von Koopa (250+)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collaborative effort!

I'm still down to contribute shittiness to this site from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AkogareZephyr
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds pretty cool! However, all I can offer at this time is my silly singing. If that's fine then count me in for this lil collab.
square-x
Luigi Mario (200+)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still needs to be a thing. (Since 1000 has been posted) I'd do something for it.

FREE HEADFONEZ!!!!!11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OverLooked ReMiX Forum Index :: 5|t3 Pr0j3cts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: