IM Protocols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OverLooked ReMiX Forum Index :: General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WTF is this shit?
Srsly.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
U guize.
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

t3h real adam d.
Bowser (2,000+)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: IM Protocols Reply with quote

So here's a question: What IM Protocol do you use?

To expand on that, I'm looking for some feedback to a poll-esque question.

If you use an IM protocol, what is the driving force behind it? Friends use it, it's what you've always used, company-mandate that's carried over to work, etc.?

If you don't use an IM protocol, did you use one in the past? Why'd you quit using it? When did you quit using it (post-High School, post-College, roughly how many years, etc?)

Regarding specifically to AIM; if you use a different IM protocol, did you use AIM at one point, or never?

I'm interested to see what the generalized internet has to say.
cawnil
Contributing Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf is this shit
srsly?

tldr what is an im protocall
t3h real adam d.
Bowser (2,000+)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cawnil wrote:
wtf is this shit
srsly?

tldr what is an im protocall

For clarification... IM Protocol is the protocol over which your IM's go. Redundant, right?

Here's a short list:
AIM
MSN
YahooIM
MySpaceIM
Google Talk
Sametime
Skype (has an IM client built-in)
Etc. and so forth.
Xenon Odyssey
Mighty Composing Sexophonist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first got on AIM back in 2002-2003, used it a lot...then in 2004 or so I think I became possessed. HAD TO BE ON AT ALL TIMES POSSIBLE. really retarded. I think my interest wained a bit after i got my laptop for christmas 07; I remember being on but at the same time not caring. or something? i really don't remember.

then my screenname got suspended or some bullshit so I was hestiant on getting a new one. i already had a spare, and I think I tried to get a new one, but registered and forgot the password (otherwise I'd being using that one, "Xenon Odyssey" as opposed to "Xdyssey").

starting using the spare but kind of distanced after the previous event. then I got my Mac, and i started using iChat. pretty much picked up where i left off, used it but no big thing. then i discovered Adium, which is what i currently use, and have used that the past year or or. i believe i switched because it's the better client to have, even though i doubt i've used any of the features.

then last semester (spring 09), i just got dumped on with work so i stopped getting on AIm pretty much entirely, and it figures that that would be the semester i also do the most weed (and subsequently make it on the dean's list as well).

so now i rarely get on; I'm trying to get back into getting on every once in a while but some nights i just completely forget because it's kind of foreign to me now.

generalized internets
Xenon is the Ailsean of OverLooked.
Brunzolaitis
Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started around '04 or so with ICQ, but I stopped using it around 2005 and switched to MSN, because I found it to clumsy to use and bland. I still use MSN but I'm basically never online, because I always tend to forget about it. (I only have about 5 people there anyway.)
And there was a short time where I used AIM, I remember having a chat with N1neko back in '05, we wanted to make an OLRemix together. Man, good times...

http://daismusic.bandcamp.com
cawnil
Contributing Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

98-02 ICQ & AIM
03-08 MSN
09-?? FB
Andy Lyons
Bowser (2,000+)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skype, msn if i have to

i saw the great irc tea discussion 02/06
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jildon
Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use Steam or Skype, but I hardly use either. Used to use AIM and IRC a lot in the past, though.
Mario Mario (1,000+)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at one point i used ICQ specifically to talk to richter but i never used one to talk to people i knew in real life
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tarrasque
A Boy and His Blob (400+)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will not use a single-protocol IM program ever again for any reason. even if like the hottest girl ever was all "hey stud wanna hit me up on meebo sometime?" i'd be all "does pidgin support it?" and she'd be all "well no" and i'd be all "thems the breaks sweetheart Cool"

and then i'd ride off into the sunset on the megazord and throw firecrackers at canadian geese as they try to chill by the retention pond

i make use of the AIM protocol most often because, go figure, most of the people i wish to speak with also use AIM. IRC is easily my favorite "protocol" and the ultimate selling point for any multiclient, because i make extensive use of it. (i threw together a bot that handles all D&D routines, so me and my buddiezz can play D&D online using ventrilo and that robot to broadcast roll results to the whole channel and stuff, it's really REALLY hardcore awesome.)

i have no interest in/relatively little knowledge of MSN, and YIM is, as i recall, riddled with security holes. this recollection is circa 2001 but whatever fuck it okay. but nobody i know even uses MSN or YIM. basically you either get an AIM account or die, that's how it is.

also this

nesper wrote:
at one point i used ICQ specifically to talk to richter but i never used one to talk to people i knew in real life

amazing anecdote: richter and i were pals for life on paletteswap but one day he forgot who i was. !!! it was so weird. what is ICQ anyway? also does anyone else BUT richter use it? why does richter use it?
Nase
Baby Koopa (300+)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone in germany uses ICQ. Most people in the USA or around the world use AIM/MSN it seems. So yea, pidgin for me cos i'm soo cosmopolitan and shit. Cool

another anecdote: I was talking to a mate yesterday over ICQ asking him to join me playing the heroes of newerth beta, and he was treating me like dead fish first, then wrote some incoherent bullshit (which wasn't too worrying, thought he was just taking the piss).
Turns out his ICQ had a bug that changed my username to his ex girlfriend one's, and he was basically trying to get rid of me/her for half an hour by being an ass Laughing
sexual remarks and all. which of course just came across as retardedly funny to me...
Tarrasque
A Boy and His Blob (400+)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qed richter is a german girlfriend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OverLooked ReMiX Forum Index :: General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: