KungFuFurby's Old Archival Music (and Remixes)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KungFuFurby
Slime (25+)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: KungFuFurby's Old Archival Music (and Remixes) Reply with quote

Hello everybody. I'm KungFuFurby, formerly known as Furby on VGMix (the site is now defunct). I have plenty of music that has since been long lost everywhere else and can't be found online anymore (not even with the original links, because freewebtown.com became a paying site, so my files are null and void!). I am the only known person with most of this music, seeing it was never that popular to begin with. Smile All of this music was made in 2008 at the latest, and 2004 at the earliest. I originally made this material with Harmony Assistant, but then I switched to Schism Tracker. I am still making music with Schism Tracker to this day, having gotten much better.

VGMix
Combo of the Furbies
This was my very first submission, and a terrible one. The sample selection is most likely a bit too generic for this web site's tastes, but it was created in Harmony Assistant, used pre-made drum beats, and terribly programmed notation. Let's see if I remember this correctly... this is part Earthbound, part Pac-Man, and part Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. It's a terrible combination, that's for sure.
If you really want to see the original page, I have found it archived. Its full name is Combo of the Furbies ~ The One Minute Mix of the games. Here is the page from 12/19/05.

The Kraken Musical Furby F l a v o r
I believe I released this as a WIP. It's a Kraken Earthbound remix... and it's it's rather sub-standard and very short. It's a bit too generic in the samples for me to consider submitting. For those of you looking for a more custom sample version, here's a second version (the drums, being too generic, have been removed):
The Kraken Musical Furby F l a v o r V2

The Talents of a Piano Played By Kefka and his lovely instruments
This one's a bad rendition of the Kefka final boss theme made in Harmony Assistant. If the samples weren't so generic, I'd submit this one too.
The official release name I gave this was Kefka Orchrestra Combo. You may view the original page as it was archived on 11/18/05.

Dancing Mad on New Year's Eve ~ Second Tier
Basically a somewhat unusual attempt at being festive. Actually, to me, it works well, although in past reviews the ending was one of the lows. Ah well, it's not too bad in comparison to some of my other earliest Harmony Assistant works. I found the corresponding page for this remix, and here is the page as archived on 8/24/05.

The Mario Orchestra
This is a remix of the Starman theme from the original Super Mario Bros. and the final boss theme from Super Mario World. Poor execution best describes this entry. There's also a hint of Final Fantasy 6 in there. The original title seems to be out and about online, and it's called The Super Mario Brothers Orchresta. I have not yet located the corresponding page, though.

Kefka's Ambient Tower Music
Another Dancing Mad remix. Part generic (some of the samples were generic)... part unusual. I found the original remix page, and this one was released under the same name. Here is its page as archived from 8/30/05.

NES Mix # 1
This is supposed to be Super Mario Bros. 3's Airship theme at the beginning, but the notation is the worst of its kind, being off sync. I consider this to be one of the worst attempts at NES music, especially when you realize I used a soundfont.

NES Mix # 2
This one is a bad, non-authentic attempt at a NES version of the Oracle from Secret of Mana. It then goes into the Kraken from Earthbound. This may work with an expansion chip, but I am definitely not making this one real NES music. Ah well, at least it's better than NES remix number one. I found the original page recently, and it was released as NES Remix 2. Here's the page as archived from 12/25/05.

Organ to GB to NES...?
Long song. I don't completely recall the games I was trying to remix, but one of them is the Oracle from Secret of Mana.

The Final Fantasy Symphony
This one was never finished (and now that I've done a better lookup, the reason is because vgmix.com went down in early Feburary of 2006), and is a Dancing Mad remix. Actually, I produced four versions, and the final one is up on archive.org. Just for fun, here's the other three versions I did to indicate my progress (note that the samples are completely different compared to the final one):
The Final Fantasy Symphony V1
The Final Fantasy Symphony V2
The Final Fantasy Symphony V3

Versus Compo

Remixes

Dragon Fighter ~ The Furby's Delight
Here's one of my earliest entries for Versus Compo, created in Schism Tracker. It's one of the few that I made for Versus that I still have the source .it file to. I made this for a compo whose game had never had a remix done before... which was Dragon Fighter for the NES. I chose the Brainies for the second theme, and it got no entries whatsoever. I still have a beta for the song I was producing, and I don't remember ever finishing it.

The Revolution of the Century
Remember this remix by jredd that is now immortalized in OCRemix? Had I not come along, that would have never been made. This is my losing entry. I have since lost the source .it file due to a hard drive crash. I would have submitted this to OLRemix officially, but the music remixed all comes from Aerosmith's music library, and I don't think any of it was originally made for the game.

A Sub Castle That Can Defeat Mario
This one's a remix from Super Mario World, and it is a very specific theme. I don't have the source IT file anymore due to that hard drive crash. I can't clearly remember what this one was for... I think it was a challenge.

The Final Level That Will Rule Them All
A remix of the Final Level theme from the Brainies for the SNES. I believe this was done to challenge Electric Concerto to a remix duel (which I clearly lost). The source IT file survives since it was made on the G3.

Non-Remixes

Static Pulse GP ~ Opening Level
This is clearly too long for an opening level, but that was the theme if I can remember correctly. The .it file survives for this one. The first sixteen seconds or so is the opening (On your mark... get set... go!), while the rest of it loops. I recall this being better suited for a bonus level. Ironically, a joke entry I made as an April Fool's joke, which was Contest de la Rocco 7, was also thought to be suitable for a bonus level, which means to me that history can repeat itself! This was made for OVGMCon 1 (OVGMCon being the Original Video Game Music Competition).

The Village Mostly Sleeps Tonight
The Village Still Sleeps Tonight
This is one of the few Versus Compo entries that have survived, because it was done near the beginning. Versus Compo allowed one WIP version to be uploaded before the final version was posted, and this one was actually shortened. The theme for this one was a village at nighttime, if I can recall correctly. This was made for OVGMCon 2.

The Complete Alien Invasion
The theme that this was entered for was backwards of what this one sounds like, based off of the commentary that I can recall. This was made for OVGMCon 3.

Your Worst Nightmare
This is the final product of a nightmarish theme as an entry. This was made for OVGMCon 4, and the theme was a wildcard, provided I gave a description of my intended scenery.

Sawtooth The Radical Beaver ~ Factory
This, to me, is the rarest one that I've got, because voting never happened. The site got shut down by hackers before voting completed. If I can remember correctly, the idea was to create a song for something that would fit this type of game (and I could have swore the factory was the last one... I think it had an environment-related message?). I also made a bonus final boss song, shown below.
Sawtooth The Radical Beaver ~ Final Boss
I believe these two were made for OVGMCon 5, which either never made it to voting or never finished voting.

Other
A Tune Dancing Madly
A thirty-minute remix of Dancing Mad from FF6, the boss theme from RoboCop 3 for the SNES, the Title Screen and ending themes from Soldiers of Fortune/Chaos Machine for the SNES, the boss theme from The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and Hideout Helm from Donkey Kong 64.

The Remix made in the War of 2410
Believe it or not, this is my one and only entry that I submitted for OCRemix, and it is a remix of the War 2410 soundtrack. It was rejected almost right off the bat due to being too literal, containing poor transitions, and poor sound quality (actually, the sound quality was the least important issue). I do not have the .it file because it was lost in the hard drive crash.

The Dancing Mad
This is actually my first Digital Hitz Factory release ever for a remix... and it's a whopping 40 minutes! It was completed on 2/1/05, intended for VGMix but never released. This file is too large for OLRemix, so I'm releasing it through the forums. Here's a near complete list of songs that are remixed here:
- Final Fantasy 6 ~ Dancing Mad
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ~ Bowser
- Bonkers (SNES) ~ Lightning Sky/Random Act of Kindness
- Kingdom Hearts (PS2) ~ ??? (I've completely forgotten the song I remixed...)
- Secret Of Mana ~ Oracle
- Earthbound (SNES) ~ Kraken
- Secret Of Mana ~ Danger
- Super Mario Bros. ~ Castle
- Super Mario Bros. ~ Stage Clear
- Super Mario World ~ Bowser

(TODO: Emerin RPG soundtracks, Era Wars song, and other lost treasures from late 2007 to mid-2008)

Bonus:
Top Gear 2 Nitro Thunder
How wonderfully strange...
I discovered this marked under Furby via a screencap one day for VGMix, and decided to hunt for it. I didn't find it in my G3 backup, and I was unable to locate the song at all...

I was finally able to hear the song for myself thanks to Leomane AKA Stiph_Talter. This person used the track to play Audiosurf. Interesting utilization... Here it is: http://www.audio-surf.com/song.php?sid=4555783

This doesn't sound like my type of music back then, but it is attributed to Furby. I don't think this is mine, so this was purely curiosity-driven... and thus, if someone else was the actual author, then my apologies.
Hello, everybody! I'm KungFuFurby from VGMix (or just simply Furby). VGMix has since completely disappeared, and I just recently discovered this website, so here I am. I'm also a member of OCRemix, although I haven't thought of submitting anything over there yet.

I have made remixes in the past, some of them I consider not so good. Actually, some of them might make it here in the near future...

Last edited by KungFuFurby on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:59 am; edited 21 times in total
Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the two mario ones, and the revolution of the century sounded alright. If i had to choose between that or the one on OCR however, I would go with the one on OCR.

What are Schism Tracker and Harmony Assistant?
KungFuFurby
Slime (25+)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schism Tracker is an Impulse Tracker clone, and Harmony Assistant deals with sheet music (although it's a bit fancier and you can use custom samples). I actually bought Harmony Assistant in September of 2005: before then, they were literally one day or so productions. Plus, they were sometimes extra short due to a 15-bar export limitation.

I have quite a few unfinished source Harmony Assistant files that I never exported before... I have eight files that I clearly marked as remixes. Out of eight tries at remixes, only one of them was ever finished.
Hello, everybody! I'm KungFuFurby from VGMix (or just simply Furby). VGMix has since completely disappeared, and I just recently discovered this website, so here I am. I'm also a member of OCRemix, although I haven't thought of submitting anything over there yet.

I have made remixes in the past, some of them I consider not so good. Actually, some of them might make it here in the near future...
Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try figuring out how schism works then, since its free. All I've used so far is Audacity and a Reaper trial that will run out soon.

edit:
oh wow, uh...
ST is kinda confusing. The only tutorial i could find for it isn't entirely comprehensible either so that doesn't help. I'm stuck at trying to figure out how to turn samples into instruments. Confused
KungFuFurby
Slime (25+)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instrument creation is pretty much automatic, but only if you've enabled them (press F12 and check: if "Control" is set to Samples, then you have to switch it over and it will create the instruments from your samples, and then you can fool around with the instruments). I myself do not deal with sample mapping to individual notes, and until just before I left the G3, I didn't even bother with instruments because they were originally unimplemented (I first used Schism Tracker when it was really young, which was in 2005. I migrated to Schism Tracker fully by the time I had transferred to the G5).

Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, how do you use it if you don't map the instruments and samples?

edit:
So I think I've got a very basic level of expertise with Schism after 8 hours, except I still can't figure out one thing: How could you make a longer song with it? I know how to expand the length of a pattern, but at the most that only gives me 200 Units at the most to work with at a time. It looks like there's a way to create multiple patterns, the save and load them up, and then change their order to the desired order, but I can't figure out how that all works.

On a side note: what should I use to host the music I make? (aside from here hopefully) I won't be able to use dropbox until late spring, and I don't really think mediafire would be the best option.
KungFuFurby
Slime (25+)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample mapping is automatic for each sample you add on, as long as you say yes to creating the host instrument. It maps it to every single note from C-0 to B-9 (which is the entire range of notes you can put in there).

To make longer songs, just press F11. The list on the left is your orderlist, and that's how to play multiple patterns. All you do is type numbers in there corresponding to the pattern numbers.

Recommendation: Press F1 to get a list of commands you could enter from a particular section.

I use box.net for hosting the majority of my music. It was recommended to me by Winzenheimer from Stencyl, previously known as Commander Lilacs.

Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do you make different patterns? That's the main thing stumping me at the moment.
KungFuFurby
Slime (25+)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be in the pattern editor first (press F2 to go the pattern editor). Then press Plus or Minus on your keyboard to switch patterns. You should end up with a brand new pattern (or a pre-existing one) to work on.

Darkomega99
The Princess (100+)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that was what they meant by Grey + and -?
I had no idea, but i suppose i should have been thinking of an older keyboard where those were indeed grey. Thank you for helping me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OverLooked ReMiX Forum Index :: Music All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: